Site: AWE, Aldermaston
Department: Projects South
Type: Staff or contract
Deadline: 27 May 2022
Working at NSG
Our vision is to be the nuclear industry’s preferred partner and we believe our people are fundamental to achieving this. Our positive and rewarding workplace culture is driven by our four core values: passion, integrity, challenge and collaboration. As a member of the NSG team, we will support your professional development in an exciting and challenging working environment, helping you to deliver to your highest potential.
The main responsibilities of the Waste Officer will be:
- Ensure compliance with environmental permits, achieving and maintaining optimal levels of protection for the environment and the population, and controlling the disposal of radioactive, controlled and hazardous wastes.
- Understand the key requirements of the client’s environmental permit conditions to ensure breaches are avoided.
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant statutes and statutory instruments appropriate for the project.
- Understand the project deliverables relating to waste production and disposal, and liaise with relevant stakeholders.
- Understand the Best Available Techniques (BAT) requirements for the project.
- Maintain a working knowledge of radiological instruments, particularly their use and limitations appropriate for the type of radioactive waste.
- Understand the assay sampling methodologies relevant to the waste type and implement the practical application of the methodology.
- Understand the waste sampling and disposal options, waste classifications and container types available for use on the project.
- Produce waste processes appropriate for the segregation, sentencing, packaging and subsequent disposal of all waste types.
- Train the project team in the waste process requirements.
- Procure and maintain a sufficient number of waste containers for the project where directed.
- Produce and maintain QA records for all waste containers or items as appropriate.
- Review and record assay data provided by the project team to allow the correct sentencing and packaging of waste.
- Produce or assist in the production of Waste Load Plans, Waste Enquiry Notes and Waste Consignment Information.
Qualifications and Skills
- Proactive, a problem solver and an excellent communicator.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office.
- Able to organise and prioritise own work and manage a heavy workload.
- Able to work under pressure, ensure accuracy and keep tight deadlines.
- Able to deal with challenging issues relating to waste management services.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Able to support others and work as part of a team.
- Supervisory skills to supervise others when required.
- Able to communicate with a wide range of colleagues at all levels and with external stakeholders and contractors.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001, 14001 and 45001.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Due regard to equal opportunities and diversity at all times, and to work in a fair and reasonable manner towards all stakeholders.
- Committed to and understanding of NSG’s vision, mission and values.
To apply for this role, please click here.